The Clone Commando Pod
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Donnie Brasco"

3 posters

Go down

"Donnie Brasco" Empty "Donnie Brasco"

Post by Denjie Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:27 pm

"All my life I've tried to be the good guy, the guy in the white f****** hat. And for what? For nothing. I'm not becoming like them; I am them."

Made in 1997, the film Donnie Brasco stars Al Pacino and Johnny Depp as the main characters and is based on a true story. The movie is set in 1987, following the footsteps of FBI Joe Pistone (Johnny Depp) who goes undercover as a Jewel Guy named Donnie Brasco in order to get into the mafia. Upon crossing paths with a guy named Lefty (Al Pacino) who is a wise guy in the mafia, Donnie works to get in through this new found connection.

Once we see Depp inducted into the mafia we then start to follow his rise to the top. As he keeps giving information to the Feds on the mob activities, he soon realizes that he's actually becoming one of them. This internal struggle is seen more obvious as it soon becomes clear to his Fed superiors that he needs to be pulled out of the operation. We watch Depp become more of an emotional wreck as he tries to keep things together between him and his family while staying alive in the mob. He is finally pulled out and the consequences on both sides are shown.

---

Now this film was my first real mafia/mob movie to see. It was the first time for me to see Al Pacino in action since all I've gotten up to this point is clips from youtube (sad I know). This was also my first time seeing Johnny Depp outside of Pirates of the Caribbean. Although Donnie Brasco was before the PotC Trilogy, I had yet to see him in anything but that. I was refreshed to see Depp being serious and mature instead of always goofing off.

I was very drawn to the mental and emotional levels in this movie. Every time Depp went higher up, you could feel the tension rising. The mental state of it all made me have to go back and watch the movie a few times just to start to understand it all. Depp gives a 4 star performance in this movie for me, 4 stars since it was a bit weird for me to see him not acting crazy. His brooklyn accent was right on, his confident manner was perfect. He played the naive character very well here when he in reality knew what was going on. He definitely portrayed his power well later in the movie.

As for Pacino, since I've never seen him in anything other than this that I can recall, can't give a good comparison on him. You definitely saw the "on the wire" feelings of having the deep connections to the mafia that his character Lefty felt.

The film gets an overall 4 stars from me as I am new to mob/mafia movies and am working to establish a better perspective on it.

I know that this is a short review in that aspect, I hope with more reviews I become better.

Thank you for reading.
Denjie
Denjie

Number of posts : 4677
Xfire? : denjie
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

"Donnie Brasco" Empty Re: "Donnie Brasco"

Post by Deviss Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:35 pm

Dig the choice of layout here man. Nice choice.
Deviss
Deviss
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 6965
Xfire? : thefallen92
Registration date : 2009-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Denjie Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:19 pm

Thanks, I'll keep to this if it's working.
Denjie
Denjie

Number of posts : 4677
Xfire? : denjie
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by frang Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:48 am

Excellent movie. Heat is a great one for seeing Pacino and DeNiro play off each other. You've never seen the Godfather movies? Man, you gotta see those, they made Pacino's career. He was a young guy in those, because they were made like 40 years ago, but still he shines. I might point out that some critics consider Godfather to be the greatest American film ever made. Me, I'm a bit more partial to Godfather II myself. Carlito's Way is also good. It's another Pacino movie and it's only twenty years old, so you get to see Pacino at the height of his career. Heat was made around the same time. Anyway, great actor.
frang
frang
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 2430
Xfire? : frangible
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down