The Clone Commando Pod
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Conviction" Project

+5
Hawk
foxrock66(Roadkill)
frang
Jack
Deviss
9 posters

Go down

"Conviction" Project Empty "Conviction" Project

Post by Deviss Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:27 am

After a few weeks of talking about it, I finally finished one of my Story Ideas. Now it's not the one I posted about back in November but, I'll be trying to work on that soon.

I would like it if you listened to the Song either before, during or after you read this.

Due to the length of this, I'll post it in sections. Here is the first section:

The drumming of hoof beats was quickly overtaking his mind. The noise was borderline monotonous. He could just barely feel his horse’s chest expanding with each inhaled breath and then the following exhale. She was calm. How much longer that feeling would have its hold over the horses was another matter.
As the scouts had informed he and his partner, a sizable group of Baach was on the move. The scouts weren’t able to estimate where they were headed but a gathering of this size warranted immediate attention.
He and his partner; a woman known to him for nearly all of his life, had left five days ago. They had spent three days tracking down the Baach, observing them, gauging their progress and riding ahead so they could find the ideal site for an ambush.
Having found the their ambush site; a stretch of rolling hills, some as high as their horses’ backs and others three times that height. At one far end of the landscape, nestled behind a larger hill, began an extensive network of woods. That’s where he and his partner had elected to hide their mounts.
Picking their way through the series of rolling hills and subsequent recesses, the pair chose the initial area of attack; a small plain of grassland at the foot of a medium-sized hill.
His female companion rested her hand on his shoulder, “You think this is the best place for an attack?”
Placing his hand on her own and casting his gaze around them, he replied, “Don’t you?”
A wry grin sprouted on one corner of her face.
His eyes connect with hers.
“This is the only way through for the Baach. Unless they are getting braver and would prefer to risk stumbling over themselves, falling down one of these large hills and risk a broken neck or other appendage.” He states.
Mock coyness creases her brow, enticing him further.
With a small sigh, he continues, “You move around up here and thin them out with your bow while I… introduce myself to them.”
Raising her right hand and unslinging her willow composite bow, she asserts, “So you get to have all the fun?”
Remembering how she prefers using swords as opposed to her bow, he quickly recovers, “Of course not. When you feel that you’ve spent enough arrows, feel free to join me.”
With a genuine smile painting her lovely face, she slid her left hand from his shoulder to the coiled bowstring. As she quickly unravels it and hooks the free loop onto the waiting knock, he fastens her long sword onto the wide leather strap encircling her chest and back. Once the bow was strung, she laid it on the grass, still sprinkled with morning dew.
After the two of them were pleased with how their weapons were arranged, he took her hands in his own, they both closed their eyes and he spoke in a hushed voice, “Dear Lord, please give us speed and poise. Gift our hands with precision and our feet with sureness. Forgive us for the lives we are about to take, however basic they may be. Amen.”
“Amen.” She replies, in a hushed tone.

Last edited by Deviss™ on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Deviss
Deviss
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 6965
Xfire? : thefallen92
Registration date : 2009-02-18

Back to top Go down

"Conviction" Project Empty Re: "Conviction" Project

Post by Deviss Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:28 am

And the second section:

Keeping their hands meshed together they exchange a wordless glance. For the briefest time he seemed to become lost in her expressive brown eyes. Then time lurched back as the clatter of the approaching Baach fell upon their ears.
Releasing each other’s hands they both dropped to a crouch and seemed to slither through the high grass until they neared the peak of the hill. Raising their heads slowly they saw just how large the Baach group was.
“I count twenty.” He whispered.
Nodding her head silently, she leaned closer to him and said, “Whatever happens… know that I love you Ledger.”
A warm smile spread across his face momentarily and he replies to her statement with a kiss.
Rising to their feet, she grasps the bow tightly in her left hand and leads her right back to the quiver tied snugly next to her long sword. Her fingers find two arrows and bring them back to rest between her gloved hand and the bow shaft. Knocking both arrows onto the string she pulls the bowstring back until her thumb graces the corner of her mouth.
At the same time, Ledger rose to his feet and started down the hill. Once he made it to the halfway point, between the crest of the hill and where the small plain began, Ledger turned his head back to look at his companion. He nodded.
Upon seeing that, she quickly sighted two targets and released her fingers. The arrows leapt from her bow, streaking across the rapidly lightening sky and finding their marks in the necks of the two Baach. They fell backwards with audible grunts and spurts of rust-orange blood.
After seeing two of their comrades suddenly struck down, the remaining Baach snapped their skulls in the direction from where the arrows originated. Roars of acknowledgement and anger clawed their way out from their throats and snarls tore their beastly faces into furious contortions of their former selves. Chalky dark grey-skinned hands found weapons and clawed feet found purchase with the ground. They raced along the grassy plain, towards the silver-colored figures draped against the pink skyline.
Instantly, Ledger’s companion began the motion of reaching back to her quiver, gripping an arrow, bringing it to rest on the angled bow, sighting a target and loosing her arrow. The familiar wry grin sprang across her face again as she saw her target sink to the ground. She executed this pattern again and again and again, with practiced precision. Each time she loosed an arrow a charging Baach sank, soaking the ground with its blood.
Not breaking his stride, Ledger moved his hand to the hilt protruding from the left side of his waist. Pulling the twenty-five inch blade from its sheath to face the oncoming wall of Baach warriors, Ledger flexed his fingers around the leather-bound hilt.
Deviss
Deviss
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Deviss Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:29 am

Here's the third:

As the nearest Baach heaved its crude sword in a downward slash, Ledger had already anticipated the movement. Sidestepping the attack, Ledger made two lightning fast slashes, one behind the Baach’s knees and the other connecting with its exposed stomach. Before the beast could look down at the torrent of blood spilling from the fresh wound, Ledger drove his blade through the back of its neck.
Wrenching his sword free, another two Baach advanced.
They raised their weapons. Two arrows slammed into their skulls, knocking them off their feet.
A larger Baach swung its huge battle-axe towards Ledger’s shoulder and neck. Reacting fast, he rolled underneath the pitted axe head and drove his blade into its chest. Bringing his armored left hand up under the creatures jaw, it staggered backwards, stunned. Ledger turned to see a mace being aimed at his stomach.
Propelling his knee into the creature’s gut, the Baach loosened its grip on the mace. Ledger dropped a hand to the sheath on his right calf, yanked the knife free and drove it into the mace-wielder’s throat. Letting the now-lifeless corpse sink to the ground, Ledger focused back on the larger, battle-axe-wielding Baach.
Picking the mace up from the ground, Ledger wove both of his hands around the handle. The axe-wielding Baach fixated on Ledger again, fury practically pouring from its eyes. Disregarding the sword handle jutting from its chest, the Baach locked its hands around the axe handle like a vice.
They both moved towards each other. Weapons moving back, being prepared to deliver a fatal blow. Ledger and the Baach were within an arms length of each other when the beast attempted to heave the massive weapon in Ledger’s direction. Just as the axe-head neared a hands width from Ledger’s neck, the still-protruding sword handle hindered that from happening.
It glanced down at the handle; frustration and confusion sprawled across its face. Just as it raised its gaze, the next and last thing the Baach saw was the mace head. Ledger quickly released the mace from his grasp and tore his sword free.
Casting a hurried glance around his surroundings, Ledger noticed eight bodies that weren’t decorating the ground before he focused on the axe-wielder. Ledger quickly concluded that his companion had taken care of the eight lifeless Baach. He also noticed that she was still perched atop the hill, with her bow drawn back.
Ledger’s feet were moving before his eyes came to rest on the five remaining Baach. He tightened his grip on the sword’s handle. As he neared the remaining five, they began to spread out, moving to encircle Ledger.
They moved quickly.
Before Ledger realized it, the Baach had encircled him. Each individual Baach warrior had its eyes fixated on the man who had slain their comrades. Rage perfectly draped across each hideous face.
Deviss
Deviss
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Deviss Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:29 am

And the fourth and final section:

Ledger however didn’t falter. Instantly and without provocation he dashed towards the nearest Baach, letting his blade dip slightly.
It swung towards Ledger’s legs.
He brought his blade up to meet the creature’s weapon. The two swords met with a ringing clash and a small shower of sparks. Using his considerable strength, Ledger heaved his weapon upwards; forcing the Baach’s to deviate from its intended path. Bringing his blade upright, Ledger forced the Baach’s weapon, and the arm it was clenched in, behind the wielder’s skull. Rapidly, Ledger brought his weapon’s fullered blade down into the Baach’s shoulder with savage force. Rust-orange blood sprayed onto Ledger’s chest plate and face. Quickly, Ledger pulled his weapon free, causing it to bite deeper into the Baach’s flesh.
Turning to face two of the remaining four Baach, Ledger swung his sword up and parried a downward slash and then another directed towards his legs. Suddenly, Ledger brought the cross-guard of his weapon into the left eye of the attacking Baach. Its shrieks of agony were silenced when Ledger grabbed part of his blade and pulled it to one side, slicing its throat.
Spinning on his heel, Ledger met another Baach blade with his own. They exchanged a few quick parries when, blocking one aimed at his midsection, Ledger pushed his weapon forward into the Baach’s stomach. Grasping the handle with one hand, Ledger withdrew his weapon.
Looking around, Ledger’s eyes fell upon the last two Baach. They had turned around while he was distracted and advanced towards his companion! Instantly, he raced after them. They had a good head start however. Before he reached them, the pair of Baach was upon her. Ledger did not falter. His feet moved as lighting up the grassy hill.
Only when he heard a shout did he stop.
He knew it came from her.
The ice-cold hands of fear seized his heart.
“Sitara!” Ledger shouted, though his voice was hoarse from battle.
Galvanized back into action, Ledger took up his breakneck pace again, up the last section of the hill.
As he arrived at the hill’s top, relief washed over him like a tidal wave. Ledger’s eyes beheld Sitara, his beloved companion, wrenching her knife from a Baach’s neck. The last two Baach were no more. Their corpses sprawled on the ground.
Sitara turned to face her fatigued companion, concern displayed plainly on his blood-smeared face.
“What?” She questioned.
Ledger’s eyes darted between her and the two bodies that lay on the ground.
“I was caught up in watching you. I did not see them until they were upon me. They overpowered me,” Sitara spat, “I won’t allow that to happen again.”
Ledger brought his arms forward, towards Sitara.
Seeing the pained look on his face, she walked to him. Understanding why that expression was there.
“Oh you though I was…” She began, speaking in a delicate tone.
They embraced. Ledger held her tightly. She looked up at him and he kissed her forehead. A small smile danced across her face.
“We should get back to the castle and inform the council of this,” Sitara stated.
Nodding his agreement, Ledger turned around and looked at the carnage they had wrought. Each of the twenty now-lifeless Baach were sprawled all over the grass plain, some still clutching their weapons.
Ledger and Sitara made their way down the hill and retrieved their weapons. Turning over bodies, Ledger finally found his knife, though it was still drenched with Baach blood. Taking out a section of cloth from his belt, Ledger wiped the blade clean and placed it back in its sheath. Sitara was moving from body to body, withdrawing each of the arrows she had expended. After she had gathered each arrow, Sitara took out a length of cord and tied it around the bundle of arrows. Placing the bundle on the ground, Sitara slung her bow on the leather harness on her back.
Having recalled their expended weapons, Ledger turned to Sitara and said, “Let’s find our mounts and get back to the castle. It isn’t normal for the Baach to venture this far into the kingdom.”
“Exactly,” Sitara answered, grabbing the arrow bundle and standing back up, “something doesn’t feel right about all this.”
Leaving the impromptu battlefield, Ledger and Sitara made their way over the hills and back to the forest edge and their mounts.
The ride back to the castle was a quiet one. In their hearts, both Ledger and Sitara knew that this encounter couldn’t mean anything good.
Deviss
Deviss
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:02 pm

Sounds decent enough, I'd avoid too much romance though this has a fine balance.

Also, i'd love to read more.. There is some more room to elaborate, the adjectives are a good fit but always having a couple extra sub plots (other then what you have here) is good, and expand more on them... the more you keep away from the main plot (to a certain point) the more tension and excitement builds. In some books they have 1 main plot and 7 sub plots spread through the book, and the sub plots may interrupt the main plot and then another sub plot interrupts this, then the main plot, then you resolve the first sub plot and go into the next sub plot and then main plot again.. Then go on a little further and try it again...

So, good job. Fits well.
Jack
Jack
1100 Posts Rating
1100 Posts Rating

Number of posts : 1551
Xfire? : jackhazardk
Registration date : 2010-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post by frang Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:00 pm

I hate centered text, always have, except for chapter headings and such. I'll copy and paste this into a Word doc and read it there. Back in a bit.....
frang
frang
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 2430
Xfire? : frangible
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Deviss Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:08 pm

Oh my bad Frang Razz
Deviss
Deviss
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by frang Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:40 pm

Rather than talk about what this little story needed, I went ahead and rewrote the thing. I kept most of what you originally wrote, only making changes for clarity and story flow. If you want to write Heroic Fantasy, or Sword-and-Sorcery, as it is also sometimes called, I must call your attention to the masters of the genre, Fritz Leiber (I actually met him, years ago), L. Sprague De Camp, Lin Carter, Robert E. Howard, and, of course, Tolkien. For swordplay, there is no better teacher than the movies of Akira Kurosawa. I'd strongly recommend Seven Samurai, Sanjuro, and Yojimbo. There's a good viking movie that will give some aid, too, called The Vikings. Good job, mostly. The errors and other problems are indicative of a first draft.

Conviction Passage
By Deviss

The drumming of hoof beats overtook his mind. The noise was borderline monotonous. He could just barely feel his horse's chest expanding with each inhaled breath and then the following exhale. The mare was calm. How much longer that feeling would have its hold over his horse was another matter.
As the scouts had informed he and Sitara, a sizable group of Baach was on the move. The scouts weren't able to estimate where they were headed but a gathering of this size warranted immediate attention.
He and his partner Sitara, a woman known to him for nearly all of his life, had left five days ago. They had spent three days tracking down the Baach, observing them, gauging their progress and riding ahead so they could find the ideal site for an ambush.
Having found their ambush site beyond a stretch of rolling hills. The hills rolled abruptly forward toward a dense grove of trees. None of the hills were uniform, some as high as their horses' backs and others three times that height. At one far end of the landscape, nestled behind the largest hill, began the grove. That's where he and his partner had elected to hide their mounts.
The pair chose the initial area of attack, a small plain of grassland at the foot of a medium-sized hill right in the middle of the group of hills.
His female companion rested her hand on his shoulder, "You think this is the best place for an attack?"
Placing his hand on her own and casting his gaze around them, he replied, "Don't you?"
His eyes connected with hers.
"This is the only way through for the Baach. Unless they are getting braver and would prefer to risk stumbling over themselves, falling down one of these large hills and risk a broken neck or other appendage." He stated.
Mock coyness creased her brow, enticing him further.
With a small sigh, he continued, "You move around up here and thin them out with your bow while I… introduce myself to them."
Sitara raised her right hand and unslung her willow composite bow. "So you get to have all the fun?"
Remembering how she preferred using swords as opposed to her bow, he laughed, "Of course not. When you feel that you've spent enough arrows, feel free to join me."
With a genuine smile painting her lovely face, she slid her left hand from his shoulder to the coiled bowstring. She quickly unraveled it and hooked the free loop onto the waiting nock.
He fastened his long sword onto the wide leather strap encircling his chest and back.
Once the bow was strung, she laid it on the grass, still sprinkled with morning dew.
After the two of them were pleased with how their weapons were arranged, he took her hands in his own, they both closed their eyes and he spoke in a hushed voice, "Divine One, give us speed and poise for the purpose at hand. Gift our hands with precision and our feet with sureness. Forgive us for the lives we are about to take, however basic they may be. Know our hearts and our belief of these as necessary acts. Amen."
"Amen." She replied, in a hushed tone.
Keeping their hands meshed together they exchanged a wordless glance. For the briefest time he seemed to become lost in her expressive brown eyes. Then time lurched back as the distant clatter of the Baach fell upon their ears.
Their hands dropped to their weapons as they crouched. An observer might note the sure way they moved quietly and quickly through the high grass, leaving not a sign of their passage. This was a mark of the skill that only comes from experience. They neared the peak of the hill. Raising their heads slowly they saw just how large the Baach group was.
"I count twenty." He whispered.
Nodding her head silently, she leaned closer to him and said, "Whatever happens… know that I love you Ledger."
A warm smile spread across his face momentarily and he replied to her statement with a kiss.
Rising to her feet, she grasped the bow tightly in her left hand. Her right hand swung back to the quiver with practiced ease. An errant thought crossed her mind at that moment. _How many Baach have I slain over the years?_ She could not say, she had lost track long ago. Her fingers found two arrows and brought them back to rest between her gloved hand and the bow shaft. Nocking both arrows onto the string she pulled the bowstring back until her thumb graced the corner of her mouth.
At the same time, Ledger rose to his feet. He walked in a crouch down the hill. Once he made it to the halfway point, between the crest of the hill and where the small valley began, Ledger turned his head back to look at his sweet killer Sitara. He nodded.
Upon seeing that, she quickly sighted her target and released her fingers. The arrows leapt from her bow, streaking across the rapidly lightening sky to find their marks in the neck of the lead Baach. He fell backwards with an audible grunt. The high grass was stained with his rust-orange blood.
After seeing their leader suddenly struck down, the remaining Baach snapped their skulls in the direction from where the arrows originated. Roars of acknowledgement and anger clawed their way out from their throats and snarls tore their beastly faces into furious contortions. Their chalky dark grey-skinned hands found weapons and clawed feet found purchase with the ground. They raced along the grassy plain, towards the silver-colored figure draped against the pink skyline.
Sitara's hands worked one their own accord, gripping an arrow, bringing it to rest on the angled bow. Her eyes sought a target. Her fingers loosed her arrow. The wry grin so familiar to Ledger sprang across her face again as she saw her target sink to the ground. She executed this pattern again and again and again, with precision gained from years of deadly practice. Each time she loosed an arrow, a charging Baach sank. More of their blood stained the grass.
Ledger broke cover and charged. He pulled long straight blade from its sheath. Here they came to present themselves to its edge, a thin wall of Baach warriors. Ledger flexed his fingers around the leather-bound hilt.
As the nearest Baach heaved its crude sword in a downward slash, Ledger had already anticipated the movement. Sidestepping the attack, Ledger made two lightning fast slashes, one behind the Baach's knees and the other connecting with its exposed stomach. Before the beast could look down at the torrent of blood spilling from the fresh wound, Ledger drove his blade through the back of its neck.
Wrenching his sword free, another two Baach advanced.
They raised their weapons. Two arrows slammed into their skulls, knocking them off their feet.
A larger Baach swung its huge battle-axe towards Ledger's shoulder and neck. Reacting fast, he rolled underneath the pitted axe head of poorly forged iron and drove his blade into its chest. He bringing his armored left hand up under another creature's jaw, it staggered backwards, stunned. Ledger turned to see a mace being aimed at his head.
He slapped the mace aside with the blade of his sword and propelled his knee into the creature's gut. The Baach dropped the mace. Ledger dropped a hand to the sheath on his belt to draw his dirk. He drove it into the mace-wielder's throat. Letting the now-lifeless corpse sink to the ground, Ledger focused on a large battle-axe-wielding Baach.
One of Sitara's arrows sunk into the chest of the Baach next to the axe wielder. The death of the creature's companion lit a fury its eyes. The Baach locked its hands around the axe handle like a vice.
They both moved towards each other. Weapons moved back, both prepared to deliver a fatal blow. Ledger and the Baach were within an arms length of each other when the beast slashed the massive weapon in Ledger's direction.
Ledger's blade caught the blow in a glancing parry. The axehead slid down the length of his blade in a line of sparks.
The massive Baach drew back for another blow, but Ledger's long, nimble form spun to the side to slash at the creature's throat. The edge found the flesh in a fountain of blood.
Ledger counted the bodies. Sitara had accounted for eight with her bow. She was still perched atop the hill, with her bow drawn back.
Ledger's feet were moving as his eyes came to rest on the five remaining Baach. He tightened his grip on his sword's handle. As he neared the remaining five, they began to spread out, moving to encircle Ledger.
They moved quickly. Each Baach warrior had its eyes fixated on the man who had slain their comrades. Rage was perfectly draped across each hideous face.
Ledger didn't falter. He let his blade dip as he charged them.
The Baach in front swung at Ledger's legs.
He caught up the thing's blade with his own, pushing it up high. He stepped in underneath as he brought his own blade down in a slash across the creature's chest. He pivoted to the right at the next Baach. Ledger brought his weapon's fullered blade up through into the Baach's shoulder with savage force, severing the arm. More blood to greet the day. Ledger turned back to strike at the nearest of the remaining three.
He swung his sword up and parried a downward slash and then another directed towards his legs. It was an old trick taught to him by a man with one arm. He brought the cross-guard of his weapon into the left eye of the attacking Baach. Its shrieks of agony were silenced when Ledger grabbed part of his blade and pulled it to one side, slicing its throat.
Spinning on his heel, Ledger met another Baach blade with his own. They exchanged a few quick parries. An arrow pierced its neck. The last one died with an arrow to its heart. Looking around, Ledger's eyes fell upon two Baach running at Sitara from the side. They had miscounted. Two had crossed to the side of the little valley and were now trying to get to Sitara. He raced after them while shouting a warning for her. He was too far to see her face. She saw him running and turned. The pair of Baach fell upon her. Ledger did not falter, though his heart did. His feet moved as lighting up the grassy hill.
"Sitara!" Ledger shouted.
Ledger dashed up the last section of the hill. He arrived at the hill's top, a great outpouring of relief was there to greet him. Ledger's eyes beheld Sitara, his beloved companion, wrenching her knife from a Baach's neck. The last two Baach were no more. Their corpses sprawled on the ground.
Sitara turned to face her fatigued companion, concern displayed plainly on his blood-smeared face.
"What?" She questioned.
Ledger's eyes darted between her and the two bodies that lay on the ground.
"I was caught up in watching you. They took me by surprise." She spurned the nearest body with her foot. "Though they were no challenge, still was a stupid mistake on my part I won't allow that to happen again." Seeing the pained look on his face, she understood. "Oh you though I was…" She began, speaking in a delicate tone.
They embraced. Ledger held her tightly. She looked up at him and he kissed her forehead. A small smile danced across her face.
"We should get back to the castle and inform the council of this," Sitara stated.
Ledger turned around and looked at the carnage they had wrought. Each of the twenty now-lifeless Baach were sprawled all over the grass plain, some still clutching their weapons. Ledger and Sitara made their way down the hill and retrieved their weapons. They searched the bodies. Ledger found his dirk. Ledger wiped the blade clean and placed it back in its sheath. Sitara was moving from body to body, withdrawing each of the arrows she had expended. Her bow was back on its place on her back, unstrung and resting from its efforts.
Ledger turned to Sitara and said, "Let's find our mounts and get back to the castle. It isn't normal for the Baach to venture this far into the kingdom."
"Exactly," Sitara answered. "Something doesn't feel right about all this."
Leaving the little battlefield, Ledger and Sitara made their way over the hills and back to the forest edge and their mounts.
The ride back to the castle was a quiet one. This was not a portent of good times to come.

frang
frang
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by frang Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:48 pm

Er. I have an undergraduate minor in Creative Writing. It's easy for me to fall back on those habits learned in writing seminars. Never take offense at what I write. It is always my intention to help and aid, nothing more. Good job, Dev.
frang
frang
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by foxrock66(Roadkill) Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:57 pm

I'll try to get around to this soon. The authors Frang mentioned are all great ones to look into. I'd like to add Brian Jacques in there, as well as Ted Dekker's Circle Series
foxrock66(Roadkill)
foxrock66(Roadkill)
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 3164
Xfire? : foxrock66
Registration date : 2008-04-13

http://foxrock66.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:04 pm

@Fox, Redwall ftw...
Jack
Jack
1100 Posts Rating
1100 Posts Rating

Number of posts : 1551
Xfire? : jackhazardk
Registration date : 2010-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Deviss Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:37 pm

Ah, I appreciate it Frang. I'll be sure to ask you first next time I post something Wink Although, with the Character "Sitara", not bringing up her name until I did, I was attempting to go for a smidge of mystery. Did that not fit overall?

You're not wrong about this being the First Draft Frang. In fact, I started and finished the majority of this while I was pulling my "New Years All-Nighter". So I wasn't exactly thinking the clearest that I could, Lol.

At the present time, I'm going off of (only slightly, as to avoid direct copying/plagiarism) the Authors I've already read. Primarily John Flanagan, Author of the Ranger's Apprentice Series. I'll try and draw from Jacques though, I love the Redwall Series.

I appreciate your contribution Frang. Fox, no worries. Read it when you get the time.

Also, Frang, what did you think of the name "Ledger"? I'm going through a Baby Name website, listing all the Names I like or might use.
Deviss
Deviss
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:00 pm

That is pretty amazing!! I loved it dev!! very talented....keep it up...and keep it coming!! i want to know what happens next
Hawk
Hawk

Number of posts : 1607
Xfire? : collapsing
Registration date : 2010-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by frang Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:31 pm

Some of what you wanted to do here would only work in a much longer story. The mystery of who had accompanied Ledger would depend on the characters' interactions previous to this event. That's also why I took out the part about the Baach brute surviving a sword to the chest. It only makes sense if we've seen them or learned about them earlier (two hearts, super regen ability, etc). Ledger's a fine name. If you need a name, you should use a name generator for unusual or unique names. Google lists a bunch of them for just about any fictional genre, name combination, or ethnic name.

Keep writing! We look forward to your next story.
frang
frang
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Deviss Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:47 am

frang wrote:Some of what you wanted to do here would only work in a much longer story. The mystery of who had accompanied Ledger would depend on the characters' interactions previous to this event. That's also why I took out the part about the Baach brute surviving a sword to the chest. It only makes sense if we've seen them or learned about them earlier (two hearts, super regen ability, etc).

Yeah, that's what I had thought of last night while I was going through your revision. Making changes in mine and such. The thing is with this, this is an idea that I got from "Conviction". Now that I've fleshed it out, and had a few Members read it over, I definitely plan on building a Story around this.

Now I'm not sure if I'll use this as an Intro, or drop this in at a later point.

frang wrote:Ledger's a fine name. If you need a name, you should use a name generator for unusual or unique names. Google lists a bunch of them for just about any fictional genre, name combination, or ethnic name.

I'll try that if I need some other, more Fictional Names. I spent yesterday evening typing a List of Male Character Names from a Baby Naming website I've used before. And by "used" I mean just to find the meanings behind certain names.
Deviss
Deviss
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by foxrock66(Roadkill) Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:52 am

Deviss™ wrote:Also, Frang, what did you think of the name "Ledger"? I'm going through a Baby Name website, listing all the Names I like or might use.

Hah! I do the same thing
foxrock66(Roadkill)
foxrock66(Roadkill)
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Deviss Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:34 pm

foxrock66(Roadkill) wrote:Hah! I do the same thing

For what though? Name meanings?
Deviss
Deviss
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by foxrock66(Roadkill) Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:09 pm

Yeah, for my own characters. I like to have something somewhat uncommon that reflects the character in some way.

Like an albino named Laban, which means white. Or Adrian for a ship's captain, as it means man of the sea
foxrock66(Roadkill)
foxrock66(Roadkill)
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Deviss Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:34 pm

Ah, very nice Fox. Would you happen to have any Sites, for that, that you could recommend?

Also, what do you all think I should do with this Project? Meaning where in my Story I should incorporate it? I also got the thought that I could tie-in the Project I posted about a couple months ago into this.

Thoughts?
Deviss
Deviss
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Mello Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:24 pm

Well of course i do not have frang's experience... not even close but i think it is very good, personally i think the arts are good things that are dying so i give you props dev very nice.
Mello
Mello
LoL DIVLD
LoL DIVLD

Number of posts : 1554
Xfire? : mellomarcher
Registration date : 2010-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Deviss Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:40 am

Thank you Mello Smile

Well here's the Final Version (I think):

The drumming of hoof beats overtook his mind. The noise was borderline monotonous. He could just barely feel his horse’s chest expanding with each inhaled breath and then the following exhale. The mare was calm.
As the scouts had informed he and his partner, a sizeable group of Baac was on the move. The scouts weren’t able to estimate where they were headed but a gathering of this size warranted immediate attention.
He and his partner, a woman known to him for nearly all of his life, had left five days ago. They had spent three days tracking down the Baac group, observing them, gauging their progress and riding ahead so they could find the ideal site for an ambush.
After having searched for nearly ten minutes, they found their ambush site; a stretch of rolling hills.
The hills rolled abruptly forward toward a dense grove of trees. None of the hills were uniform, some as high as their horses’ backs and others three times that height. At one far end of the landscape, nestled behind a larger hill, began the grove. That’s where he and his partner had elected to hide their mounts.
Picking their way through the series of rolling hills and subsequent recesses, the pair chose the initial area of attack; a small plain of grassland at the foot of a medium-sized hill, right in the middle of the group of hills.
His female companion rested her hand on his shoulder, “You think this is the best place for an attack?”
Placing his hand on her own and casting his gaze around them, he replied, “Don’t you?”
His eyes connected with hers.
“This is the only way through for the Baac. Unless they are getting braver and would prefer to risk stumbling over themselves, falling down one of these large hills and risk a broken neck or other appendage.” He stated.
Mock coyness creases her brow, enticing him further.
With a small sigh, he continued, “You move around up here and thin them out with your bow while I… introduce myself to them.”
She raised her right hand and unslung her willow composite bow. “So you get to have all the fun?” She asserted.
Remembering how she prefers using swords as opposed to her bow, he quickly recovers, “Of course not. When you feel that you’ve spent enough arrows, feel free to join me.”
With a genuine smile painting her lovely face, she slid her left hand from his shoulder to the bowstring that was woven around the bow itself.
She quickly unraveled it and hooked the free loop onto the waiting knock.
Once the bow was strung, she laid it on the grass, still sprinkled with morning dew.
After the two of them were pleased with how their weapons were arranged, he took her hands in his own, they both closed their eyes and he spoke in a hushed voice, “Heavenly Father, please give us speed and poise for the purpose at hand. Gift our hands with precision and our feet with sureness. Forgive us for the lives we are about to take, however simple they may be. Know our hearts and belief of these as necessary acts. Amen.”
“Amen.” She responded, in a hushed tone.
Keeping their hands meshed together they exchange a wordless glance. For the briefest time he seemed to become lost in her expressive brown eyes. Then time lurched back as the clatter of the approaching Baac fell upon their ears.
Their hands dropped to their weapons as they crouched. An observer might note the sure way they moved quietly and quickly through the high grass, leaving not a sign of their passage. This was a mark of the skill that only comes from experience.
They neared the peak of the hill. Raising their heads slowly they saw just how large the group of Baac was.
“I count twenty.” He whispered.
Nodding her head silently, she leaned closer to him and murmured, “Whatever happens… know that I love you Abel.”
A warm smile spread across his face momentarily and he replies to her statement with a gentle kiss.
Rising to her feet, Sitara grasped the bow tightly in her left hand. Her right hand swung back to the quiver with practiced ease. An errant thought crossed her mind at that moment. “How many Baac have I killed over the years?” She could not say, she had lost track long ago. Her fingers found two arrows and brought them back to rest between her gloved hand and the bow shaft. Nocking both arrows onto the bowstring she drew it back until her thumb graced the corner of her mouth.
At the same time, Abel rose to his feet. He walked down the hill in a crouch. Once he made it to the halfway point, between the crest of the hill and where the small valley began, Abel turned his head back to look at his sweet killer of a companion. He nodded.
Upon seeing that, she quickly sighted her targets and released her fingers. The arrows leapt from her bow, streaking across the rapidly lightening sky and finding their marks in the necks of two of the leading Baac. They collapsed with audible grunts. The high grass was stained with their rust-orange blood.
After seeing two of their comrades suddenly struck down, the remaining Baac snapped their skulls in the direction from where the arrows originated. Roars of acknowledgement and anger clawed their way out from their throats and snarls tore their beastly faces into furious contortions. Chalky grey-skinned hands found weapons and clawed feet found purchase with the ground. They raced along the grassy plain, towards the silver-colored figures draped against the pink skyline.
Sitara’s hands worked one their own accord, gripping an arrow, bringing it to rest on the angled bow. Her eyes sought a target. Her fingers loosed her arrow. The wry grin so familiar to Abel sprang across her face again as she saw her target sink to the ground. She executed this pattern again and again and again, with precision gained from years of practice. Each time she loosed an arrow, a charging Baac sank. More of their blood stained the grass.
Not breaking his stride, Abel moved his hand to the hilt protruding from the left side of his waist. He pulled the long blade from its sheath. Here they came to present themselves to its edge, a thin wall of Baac warriors. Abel flexed his fingers around the leather-bound hilt.
As the nearest Baac heaved its crude sword in a downward slash, Abel had already anticipated the movement. Sidestepping the attack, Abel made two lightning fast slashes, one behind the Baac’s knees and the other connecting with its exposed stomach. Before the beast could look down at the torrent of blood spilling from the fresh wound, Abel drove his blade through the back of its neck.
Wrenching his sword free, another two Baac advanced.
A larger Baac swung its huge battle-axe towards Abel’s shoulder and neck. Reacting fast, he rolled underneath the pitted axe head of poorly forged iron and drove his blade into its chest. He brought his armored left hand up under the creature’s jaw, it staggered backwards, stunned. Abel turned to see a mace being aimed at his head.
He slapped the mace aside with the blade of his sword and propelled his knee into the creature’s gut. The Baac dropped the mace. Abel dropped a hand to the sheath on his right calf, pulled the knife free and drove it into the mace-wielder’s throat.
Letting the now-lifeless corpse sink to the ground, Abel focused back on the larger, battle-axe-wielding Baac.
One of Sitara's arrows sunk into the chest of the Baac next to the axe wielder. The death of the creature's companion lit a fury its eyes. The Baac locked its hands around the axe handle like a vice.
They both moved towards each other. Weapons moved back, being prepared to deliver a fatal blow. Abel and the Baac were within an arms length of each other when the beast slashed the massive weapon in Abel’s direction.
Abel's blade caught the blow in a glancing parry. The axe head slid down the length of his blade in a line of sparks.
The massive Baac drew back for another blow, but Abel's long, nimble form spun to the side to slash at the creature's throat. The edge found the flesh in a fountain of blood.
Abel counted the bodies. Sitara had accounted for eight with her bow. She was still perched atop the hill, with her bow drawn back.
Abel’s feet were moving as his eyes came to rest on the five remaining Baac. He tightened his grip on the sword’s handle. As he neared the remaining five, they began to spread out, moving to encircle Abel.
They moved quickly.
Before Ledger realized it, the Baac had encircled him. Each individual Baac warrior had its eyes fixated on the man who had slain their comrades. Rage perfectly draped across each hideous face.
Abel however didn’t falter. He let his blade dip slightly.
The Baac in front swung towards Abel’s legs.
He caught the thing’s weapon with his own, pushing it skyward. Abel forced the Baac’s weapon behind the wielder’s skull. Rapidly, Abel brought his weapon’s fullered blade down into the lower part of the Baac’s neck with savage force. More blood to greet the day. Quickly, Abel pulled his weapon free, causing it to bite deeper into the creature’s flesh.
Abel turned to face two of the remaining three Baac. He swung his sword up and parried a downward slash and then another directed towards his legs. It was a trick taught to him by a man with one arm. Suddenly, Abel brought the cross-guard of his weapon into the left eye of the attacking Baac. Its shrieks of agony were silenced when Abel grabbed part of his blade and pulled it to one side, slicing its throat.
Spinning on his heel, Abel met another Baac blade with his own. They exchanged a few quick parries when, blocking one aimed at his midsection, Abel slid his weapon forward into the Baach’s stomach. The last Baac died with an arrow to the heart.
Grasping the handle with one hand, Abel withdrew his weapon.
Looking around, Abel's eyes fell upon two Baac running at Sitara from the side.
They had miscounted!
Two had crossed to the side of the little valley and were now trying to get to Sitara. He raced after them while shouting a warning for her. He was too far to see her face. She saw him running and turned. The pair of Baac fell upon her. Abel did not falter, though his heart did. His feet moved as lighting up the grassy hill.
“Sitara!” Abel shouted, though his voice was hoarse from battle.
Abel dashed up the last section of the hill.
He arrived at the hill's top; a great outpouring of relief was there to greet him. Abel's eyes beheld Sitara, his beloved companion, wrenching her knife from a Baac's neck.
The last two Baac were no more.
Their corpses sprawled on the ground.
“What?” She questioned.
Abel’s eyes darted between her and the two bodies that lay on the ground.
"I was caught up in watching you. They took me by surprise." She spurned the nearest body with her foot. "Though they were no challenge, it still was a stupid mistake on my part. I won't allow that to happen again."
Seeing the pained look on his face, she understood. "Oh you though I was…" She began, speaking in a delicate tone.
They embraced. Abel held her tightly. She looked up at him and he kissed her forehead. A small smile danced across her face.
“We should get back to the castle and inform the council of this,” Sitara stated.
Nodding his agreement, Abel turned around and looked at the carnage they had wrought. Each of the twenty-two now-lifeless Baac were sprawled all over the grass plain, some still clutching their weapons.
Abel and Sitara made their way down the hill and retrieved their weapons. Searching the bodies, Abel finally found his knife. Taking out a section of cloth from his belt, Abel wiped the blade clean and placed it back in its sheath. Switching the rag to the opposite side, Abel did the same with his sword.
Sitara was moving from body to body, withdrawing each of the arrows she had expended. After she had gathered each arrow, Sitara took out a length of cord and tied it around the bundle of arrows. Sitara’s bow was slung on her back, permitting it rest for its efforts.
Abel turned to Sitara and said, “Let’s find our mounts and get back to the castle. It isn’t normal for the Baac to venture this far into the kingdom.”
“Exactly,” Sitara answered, “something doesn’t feel right about all this.”
Leaving the little battlefield, Abel and Sitara made their way over the hills and back to the forest edge and their mounts.
The ride back to the castle was a quiet one. They knew that this was not an indication of good times to come.

As you said Frang, I ended up changing the Male Character's Name from "Ledger" to "Abel". I also ended up just removing the "h" from Baach.
Deviss
Deviss
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandal Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:56 pm

Nice dev. You should publish it when its finished Wink got a talent bro.
Vandal
Vandal

Number of posts : 885
Xfire? : shadowvortex
Registration date : 2010-12-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinku Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:28 pm

I really like it. I'm not an editor or critic of any sort so I have no suggestions but its good.
Rinku
Rinku

Number of posts : 1164
Xfire? : rinku4
Registration date : 2010-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyVC Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:12 pm

it was great, and it would probably be a good seller if you publish it. nicely done.
AndyVC
AndyVC
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 903
Xfire? : andyvc
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Deviss Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:04 am

Well thanks you two but, I don't see myself publishing it until I have the entire book done Razz
Deviss
Deviss
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down