The Clone Commando Pod
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fallout 3

4 posters

Go down

Fallout 3 Empty Fallout 3

Post by zeb k Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:52 am

Today I'm reviewing Fallout 3 and I'm gonna say right now that it's a hell of a game.

Gameplay
For those of you who don't know(i.e. the ones living under rocks), Fallout 3, the third installment in the Fallout series(duh), is a action RPG and it actually pulls it off. Most "action RPGs" are the kind of game where you get to chose between good Very Happy and bad Twisted Evil and then you run through a series of linear levels, killing anything that's not you while crouching behind chest high walls. It actually has the RPG aspect. With hundreds of NPCs lots of quests and a variety of mutated... things, it makes for a very interesting time. People may have been skeptical about the V.A.T.S. aiming system, thinking that watching each shot in slow motion would wear off after a while. However seeing a Super Mutant's body fly off in one direction and it's head in 6 others never loses it's charm. And it's not like you have to(or can) use it all the time. You get a certain amount of Action Points and once they're gone(or if you choose not to use V.A.T.S. at all) then you get to shoot manually. The games general gameplay is quite similar to Oblivion, with the choice of playing in 3rd or 1st person view, though the game was designed for 1st person.

Story
For those who know nothing of the Fallout games, they take place in a post-apocalyptic world after a nuclear war wipes out most of humanity. However some humans survived in underground Vaults which protected them from the devastation. In the beginning of the game you play through several key points in your childhood(complete with a rather Shocked one in the beginning) in a Vault(the only Vault that didn't open again after the war). At age 21 your dad suddenly leaves the Vault even though no one thought this was possible. "We are born in the Vault, we die in the Vault." and then you have no choice to follow and... I dunno. Ask why he left I guess. The story is actually quite good and the characters are well made and believable.

Weapons
While the selection of guns is not the largest there are still quite a few ranging from the toy knife to the Fat Man(it launches mini nukes). The combat skills are: Unarmed, Melee Weapons, Energy Weapons, Small Guns, Explosives, and Large Guns, and you can use any combination that you want.

Character
The character creation is very detailed and well designed, and helps to take you mind off that Shocked moment I mentioned. Very Happy You can use any combination of skills, so you can mold your character to however you want it. Unfortunately there is a level cap of 20, however with the Broken Steel expansion the level cap is increased to 30. Also be doing good or bad things you get negative or positive Karma, which can influence which people will follow you and so on. So all in all you can make your character however you want it.

So in conclusion I say that this game is DEFENITLY worth it. Bethesda makes the best games there are, and Fallout 3 was no exception. Plus since Fallout 3 is a couple years old, it is fairly cheap. So Fallout earns my highest honor: comparison to The Elder Scrolls. And it deserves it. So go out and buy it. It's worth it. Very Happy
zeb k
zeb k

Number of posts : 644
Xfire? : zsking
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Back to top Go down

Fallout 3 Empty Re: Fallout 3

Post by foxrock66(Roadkill) Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:40 am

Way better than FNV. Plus you can grab the GOTY edition for $20 now
foxrock66(Roadkill)
foxrock66(Roadkill)
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 3164
Xfire? : foxrock66
Registration date : 2008-04-13

http://foxrock66.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by zeb k Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:51 am

I agree that it's a better then NV. NV had more guns and stuff but 3 had a hellavalot better story.
zeb k
zeb k

Back to top Go down

Post by frang Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:31 pm

It reminds me of the early days of rpg, especially KOTOR. Being an old Max Payne fan, I love my "bullet time." Though the system in MP1/2 was more fun, since it automatically kicked in when you got a head shot or a critical hit. You rode that bullet all the way down to the target!

Thanks for the review, Zeb!!
frang
frang
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 2430
Xfire? : frangible
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:56 am

Aww man that was such a great game... I still haven't gone through everything. And the dlc is amazing. Heh, I even remember constantly reloading the same save just so I could get the Unidentified Flying Debris event. Which is another thing I love about the game. Random encounters. Like Pokemon, only everything is tall grass.
Luna
Luna

Number of posts : 231
Xfire? : pyro1162
Registration date : 2010-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post by frang Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:24 am

Thanks again for the review. The GOTY edition was $20, a good buy for a change.
frang
frang
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by zeb k Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:17 am

No problem frang! I like reviewing. Gonna try to do a new one every week or so.
zeb k
zeb k

Back to top Go down

Post by frang Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:47 pm

I raise my Nuka-Cola in a salute to you, my friend! Now, where's my Rad-X?
frang
frang
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down