The Clone Commando Pod
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"3:10 to Yuma"

3 posters

Go down

"3:10 to Yuma" Empty "3:10 to Yuma"

Post by Denjie Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:51 pm

“If I don't go, we gotta pack up and leave. Now I'm tired, Alice. I'm tired of watching my boys go hungry. I'm tired of the way that they look at me. I'm tired of the way that you don't.”

The struggle of a rancher just wanting something more in life than what he’s got.

That’s what this 2007 remake of the 1957 film “3:10 to Yuma” is about, Directed by James Mangold.

Staring Russell Crowe as Ben Wade and Christian Bale as Dan Evans in this epic western film depicting the internal struggle of a man who’s at the end of his rope and is desperate for a change.

The movie goes through showing us Evans trying to make a desperate life out of a dried up ranch. Meanwhile Wade is a notorious outlaw who has held up a stage and is coming into town with his gang to celebrate. Evans crosses paths with him and recognizes him which there upon captures him. The rest of the movie depicts the journey that Wade and Evans take with a group of men and the struggle between their separate morals that clash seemingly constant. All of this happens to get Wade to the 3:10 train in Yuma for trial.

---

Being a fan of westerns and having watched Crowe and Bale before this in separate movies, I was curious to see how they’d respond to each other. I was pleasantly surprised by the way things flowed.

Crowe gave an outstanding performance as the bad outlaw that seems to have a refined side to him. He seamlessly switches from throwing lead around to quoting scripture and looking/sounding refined. He always seems to be a step ahead, always looking like he knows what’s going on. Impressive to say the very least about his acting.

After watching Christian Bale in the Batman movies (haven’t seen TDNR), I was very interested to see him in action with this. I wasn’t disappointed; he seems to always give that deep, serious, go-all-the-way style of acting. His serious attitude played off Crowe’s carefree way so well.

Now the story line sometimes seems to fade out, which does take away from the movie. However, Bale or Crowe bring the scenes back around with some kind of interaction that brings the friction back into play. The gun fighting is kept to a minimum, and you don’t see the annoying “12 shots fired from a 6 shooter* routine. Through the movie you keep having this sense of “If we can just make it to this point” kind of ordeal. It definitely kept me watching, wondering just how in the heck it would wrap up.

Now I haven’t really given any spoilers with this, but the ending is a disappointing/depressing and yet you also get a sense of “ok, it actually went through”.

The movie get’s 4 stars from me.

Thanks for reading.

Denjie
Denjie

Number of posts : 4677
Xfire? : denjie
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

"3:10 to Yuma" Empty Re: "3:10 to Yuma"

Post by foxrock66(Roadkill) Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:23 pm

Big favorite of mine. Ben Foster has a great performance as well. This is the film that made me consider him an actor instead of that wacko kid from Hostage
foxrock66(Roadkill)
foxrock66(Roadkill)
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 3164
Xfire? : foxrock66
Registration date : 2008-04-13

http://foxrock66.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by frang Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:50 pm

I prefer Last Train from Gun Hill over this one. The original version of 3:10 and this one are good, but something about them doesn't feel right to me. Not the actors' fault.

If you ever get a chance to see Last Train from Gun Hill, it will blow your socks off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Train_from_Gun_Hill
frang
frang
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 2430
Xfire? : frangible
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content