The Clone Commando Pod
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Act of Valor Review

3 posters

Go down

Act of Valor Review  Empty Act of Valor Review

Post by Denjie Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:07 am

This is NOT just any War Movie ladies and gentlemen. We're taking you into that dark world where only the finest men of our military can survive. And when I say survive ladies, I mean it don't matter how much hell you just went through, you're still 100%.

I've watched every youtube clip on it that I good get my hands on before seeing. It still didn't prepare me for what I saw. I watched the interviews, behind the scenes, trailers, b rolls on it, it all still didn't prep me for what I was going to see. Act of Valor is like no other War movie I have ever seen in my life. It can't be compared to Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, We Were Soldiers and others like them. It's a whole other level/category of it's own. The movie demonstrates the brotherhood among the unit, the loyalty, the sacrifice that each SEAL demonstrates towards the others in the unit. The emotions in this film are very sincere and deep, I watched it and the whole time it felt like everything the felt was real, everything they were going through was real.

Most war movies have that "staged" kinda feeling, no matter how hard they tried to make it realistic. Act of Valor has a completely non-staged feel. You feel as if your watching a video clip taken from the actual front lines today and that this really happened.

Another point that I knew about but wasn't prepped for anyway was the fact that they used live rounds on set, yes, I just said they used live rounds on set. There was some CGI in areas for the blasts, but the grenades, rockets, mini-guns, assault rifles, the sniper, etc. it was all live rounds. Puts a different perspective on things doesn't it? Those white lines you see streaking through the vehicles and surrounding landscape are real bullets ripping their paths everywhere.

Overall an outstanding movie. There are about a dozen f words in the first 40 min (it's a 2 hr 20 min movie). And there are two scenes that are a bit over the top. The first one...
Spoiler:

The second one made my friend and I (we were the only ones in the theatre. OH YEA!!!) made us both jump in our seats going WTF???
Spoiler:
MAJOR SPOLIER
Spoiler:

There is also a torture scene towards the beginning of the movie, it kinda verges on Saw feel when one terrorist brings out a drill to use on the CIA agent (female agent btw). It gets pretty bad.

Act of Valor is a non-stop action movie with enough emotion in it to make you think it's 100% real. I highly recommend watching. And just as a side note, I'm not one who usually cries all that much... I cried like a 5 year old at the end of the movie, it was that gripping.

Hope you've enjoyed reading this, I'm not all that good at reviews so I hope I got made it good. Peace.

Last edited by Denjie on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Denjie
Denjie

Number of posts : 4677
Xfire? : denjie
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Act of Valor Review  Empty Re: Act of Valor Review

Post by frang Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:37 pm

Thanks for the review, Den. This is the one where the film crew got to accompany SEAL team units on training missions. That's how they got around the "no live rounds on movie sets rule," which is strictly enforced, especially after the death of Bruce Lee's son Brandon on the set of The Crow after a "mishap" with a gun.
frang
frang
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 2430
Xfire? : frangible
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Back to top Go down

Act of Valor Review  Empty Re: Act of Valor Review

Post by Tempest Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:03 pm

It is reaaally good. Gives the classics a run for their money
Tempest