The Clone Commando Pod
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

4 posters

Go down

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) Empty The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

Post by Denjie Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:51 pm

So it turns out that I've seen the film which apparently is helpful with the storyline of the game. I got a free 1 day rental from redbox and decided to try the game out.

The game is set after the movie and introduces Alistair Smythe and brings back Dr. Curt Conners, and Gwen Stacy. The storyline itself brings on the same urgency that was found in the film. When time is of the essence, you get the feeling of "hurry now!". I felt sucked into it 99% of the time, the 1% being the web slinging around the city just goofing off.

For those of you who played the original Spider-Man games on the PS2/XBOX/GC, The Amazing Spider-Man brings back the free roam and then takes it to an entirely new level. For those of you who have played Just Cause 2, this game has a feel similar to that when traversing around the roof tops. The web handling has definitely improved in the sense of sharper turns, being able to switch directions smoother and faster. The Combat system relies heavily on the web slinging side of things in the open area fights.

The combat in this game reflex heavily on the Batman games. You saw in the Batman games the smooth and very active combat system make fighting 10x more interactive and fun. They used a similar system with Captain America and pulled it off beautifully. Now they've used it in this game and then tweaked it for the web slinging also. I must say, it pulled off very nicely. I'm impressed with how easily you can go from taking on 3-4 bad guys and then jump up high, use your webs and target someone outside the circle and then jump back into the fray. This system keeps you alive and kicking far more often.

Another thing I noticed and was pleased with, is that whenever you're in combat, you're suit shows the wear and tear of the fighting. Most of the time it's only minor tearing, however, there's one level where you just get the crap kicked out of you and you're fighting like crazy almost every step of the way. By the end of said level, you're suit is in shreds and you yourself are barely stumbling to get away. So that gets four stars from me for realism.

Overall, I give the game 4 stars. It's definitely improved on the free roam and combat. Sometimes I feel that the reaction time is a bit slow and when I'm trying to get out of something in a hurry, it decides to take it's good ol' sweet time.

Other than that I have no gripes with it. It's a lot of fun to just mess around on and yet has that edge that the more serious gamers like to look forward to.

Thank you for reading.
Denjie
Denjie

Number of posts : 4677
Xfire? : denjie
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) Empty Re: The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

Post by foxrock66(Roadkill) Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:20 pm

Web swinging by attaching webs to invisible floating platforms in the sky. Nope. No thank you.

I'll go back to Spider-Man 2 now. I doubt they'll ever best that one
foxrock66(Roadkill)
foxrock66(Roadkill)
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 3164
Xfire? : foxrock66
Registration date : 2008-04-13

http://foxrock66.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Churminess Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:31 am

foxrock66(Roadkill) wrote:Web swinging by attaching webs to invisible floating platforms in the sky. Nope. No thank you.

I'll go back to Spider-Man 2 now. I doubt they'll ever best that one
I was getting quite excited about it until you said that. I wasted countless hours on PS2 just swinging around aimlessly, but it wouldn't be half so fun if it's not done from actual buildings.
Churminess
Churminess

Number of posts : 1840
Location : you must request government clearence to access this data
Xfire? : churminess
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Denjie Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:17 am

You still do that churm. I did that 99% of the time. Once or twice I swun to harsh and it did as Fox mentioned.
Denjie
Denjie

Number of posts : 4677
Xfire? : denjie
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Churminess Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:48 am

Den wrote:You still do that churm. I did that 99% of the time. Once or twice I swun to harsh and it did as Fox mentioned.
Hmmm, fair enough. I might give it a go anyway, the rest sounds pretty great it's just that was possibly the best part of the 2nd game.
Churminess
Churminess

Number of posts : 1840
Location : you must request government clearence to access this data
Xfire? : churminess
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by frang Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:06 pm

Thanks for the review, Den.

Another thing I noticed and was pleased with, is that whenever you're in combat, you're suit shows the wear and tear of the fighting. Most of the time it's only minor tearing, however, there's one level where you just get the crap kicked out of you and you're fighting like crazy almost every step of the way. By the end of said level, you're suit is in shreds and you yourself are barely stumbling to get away. So that gets four stars from me for realism.

The first game to do this, I believe, was Max Payne 2. Still a fine game. You can buy it for just a few bucks on Steam. One warning, you let yourself get shot up too much in the gunplay, Max will look like sh** by the end of the game.
frang
frang
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 2430
Xfire? : frangible
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum