The Clone Commando Pod
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight Rises"

+5
Rinku
Denjie
zeb k
frang
Deviss
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight Rises" Empty Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight Rises"

Post by Deviss Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:55 pm

Earlier today I decided I would work up my very first Review for MovieWeb.com. And what could be a better opening subject than The Dark Knight Rises?

Deviss' MovieWeb TDKR Review wrote:I want to make it clear that I will endeavor to keep this Review as Spoiler Free as possible. Though some scenes... *Restrains self* No, no. I won't spoil the experience... As amazing as it was...

Onto the Review!

---

The Dark Knight Rises brings us back to Gotham City nearly a decade after the events that took place in "The Dark Knight". In that time, while the city itself has seen an unprecedented time of peace, not everyone who resides in Gotham is very comfortable with it. Police Commissioner Jim Gordon (Gary Oldman) still struggles with the burden of knowing what Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart) truly did those eight long years ago.

And in those eight years, Bruce Wayne, consumed with grief over the loss of childhood friend Rachel Dawes (Katie Holmes/Maggie Gyllenhaal), has cut all ties with the outside world and, hardly ever leaving the now-rebuilt Wayne Manor, has become a recluse. As a result of taking the blame for the actions of Harvey Dent, for which Bruce still shoulders considerable blame and guilt, Batman hasn't been seen since the night Dent died. Though, at the beginning of The Dark Knight Rises if you were to pull a random Gothamite walking down the street and as about him, they would probably say "We don't need Batman anymore."

Oh how wrong they would be.

At a charity ball thrown to commemorate the (false) memory of Harvey, Bruce runs into one Selina Kyle (Anne Hathaway). Disguised as a maid, Kyle infiltrates the area of Wayne Manor that Bruce has shut himself on inside and makes off with a couple... considerably valuable items. But not before becoming acquainted with Bruce himself. The encounter with Miss Kyle, along with growing news and rumors about a "masked mercenary", later revealed as Bane (Tom Hardy), Bruce decides it's well past time he reacquaint himself with the world.

I still can recall the severe backlash from Fans when the news that Anne Hathaway, Miss Princess Diaries herself, would take on the role of Selina Kyle and alternate persona Catwoman. Though she's never explicitly referred to by that name at any point in the Film. Take my word for it, she does an exceptional job. From the way she carries herself whenever she's on-screen, to the fight scenes, sometimes shared with other Characters, and lines she gives, (albeit some could've been delivered better) we had no reason to doubt Nolan's choice in casting.

Another outstanding choice in casting was bring in Mr. Hardy to play the character of Bane. Having seen 2011's "Warrior" there was no doubt Hardy could bring the physical aspect of the role, but one thing I, along with many other fans, was more concerned with was "Will Hardy bring the intellectual side of Bane just as well the physical?" In case any of you readers don't know (and shame on you!) in the comics Bane wasn't just some muscle-bound meat head. He was one of Batman's more physically and intellectually powerful foes. Hell, Bane's nickname is "The Man Who Broke the Bat".

Of course, not to overlook Alfred Pennyworth, Lucius Fox, or Miranda Tate (Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, and Marion Cotillard respectively), each character is very well done. Both Alfred and Lucius return as Bruce's mentors and moral compasses. And Miranda... well she proves to be not what anyone expects.

One other significant point of worry was the early instance of not being able to understand Hardy. I personally had no issue with it, then or during the Film, but to each their own. While he's not on the same level as the late Heath Ledger's Joker, Tom Hardy's Bane is a force to be reckoned with. From the moment you see him on screen, you know things in this Movie are serious. There is one particular scene in the Film, which of course I will not spoil, that I will NEVER forget; the first on-screen meeting of Batman and Bane. Once my mind had finished processing what I had just seen, I was literally shaking in my seat. To this very minute, I am still speechless when it comes to The Dark Knight Rises. It's just that good.

While it doesn't hit the same high points or strike the same notes as "Batman Begins" or "The Dark Knight", The Dark Knight Rises is a phenomenal achievement in Film making. If he wasn't before, and I can assure you he was, Christopher Nolan is the best Director in Hollywood to date. And this epic Trilogy is one of the best. Right up there with Lord of the Rings and Star Wars. The visuals are stunning, the characters believable and engaging, and there were plenty of moments that left me genuinely surprised. I had to pick my jaw up from the theater floor more than once.

I almost forgot about John Blake (Joseph Gordon-Levitt)! As a young police officer with ties to a Gotham City boys home, he proves to be passionate, quite intelligent, and a major surprise himself.

As I write this Review, I'm listening to the Score to The Dark Knight Rises as a way to keep what I'd seen all the more fresh in my mind. To touch on it briefly, the Score itself is amazing. If you loved the "Batman Begins" or "The Dark Knight" Scores, grab this soon.

So in conclusion: The Dark Knight Rises is an outstanding, amazing, and sensational Movie. If you haven't seen it yet... GET OUT THERE! Christopher Nolan has given us the greatest ending to the greatest Trilogy yet. I urge you to go in as cold as possible, don't even watch a Trailer before you leave to your respective theater.

I personally would like to thank Christopher Nolan for not only giving us this monumental Movie, but also for giving us such an amazing ride through the past few years.
Deviss
Deviss
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 6965
Xfire? : thefallen92
Registration date : 2009-02-18

Back to top Go down

Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight Rises" Empty Re: Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight Rises"

Post by frang Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:29 am

Good review. Thanks, Dev.
frang
frang
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 2430
Xfire? : frangible
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Back to top Go down

Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight Rises" Empty Re: Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight Rises"

Post by zeb k Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:20 am

Great review Dev! Very Happy I went and watched this last night. Good movie. Very Happy Thanks for the review!
zeb k
zeb k

Number of posts : 644
Xfire? : zsking
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Deviss Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:15 am

Thanks guys Smile

Like I'd said, I've been with MovieWeb for so many years and, until the other day, hadn't ever given any thought to putting a review of my own up. When I get around to it, I'll have to put considerable thought and time into my "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight" reviews.
Deviss
Deviss
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Denjie Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:36 am

Sounds like a great movie. I personally am still 50/50 on seeing it, but you did a great job Dev! Smile Thanks for the info.
Denjie
Denjie

Number of posts : 4677
Xfire? : denjie
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinku Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:45 am

I think this was a great review and I agree that Anne Hathaway was a very good choice to play Catwoman. The last movie tied the first two movies in seamlessly and I found no flaws in it at all. Bane is an incredibly worthy enemy. They only part of the movie that I found mildly upsetting, and granted this setting was eight years after the death of Harvey Dent, how frail Bruce Wayne appeared at the outset of the movie, and how he somehow overcame that later on in the movie without using his previous method of fixing his leg. I'm trying not to spoil anything and I don't feel I have, but I feel no one, unless you've seen the movie would know what those last few sentences mean. Overall, this movie was fantastic, and yes, the ending was perfect. It really could not have gotten any better.
Rinku
Rinku

Number of posts : 1164
Xfire? : rinku4
Registration date : 2010-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Deviss Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:55 am

Den wrote:Sounds like a great movie. I personally am still 50/50 on seeing it, but you did a great job Dev! Smile Thanks for the info.
Haha thanks Den. If you don't mind my asking, what's your reasoning/position on that?

Oh and thank you too Rink Smile
Deviss
Deviss
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Denjie Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:06 am

Well... some friends of mine went to see it and then gave a big spoiler about it on FB. One that is really depressing to me, so idk if I wanna watch it now or what.

From the pics I seen and this review though, a good part of me really wants to see it though. That and I have The Dark Knight, so I wanna see how it all wraps up.
Denjie
Denjie

Back to top Go down

Post by Deviss Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:30 am

Despite their [Nope] of spoiling said part, you really should experience this phenomenal conclusion in theaters. At least once.
Deviss
Deviss
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by foxrock66(Roadkill) Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:27 pm

All in all the best thing I've seen in years. Firmly cements this trilogy as one of the greatest series of all time, up there with Star Wars and LOTR.

Hardy's portrayal of Bane was phenom. He brought a personality and intelligence to the character that has been sorely lacking for most of his existence.
foxrock66(Roadkill)
foxrock66(Roadkill)
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 3164
Xfire? : foxrock66
Registration date : 2008-04-13

http://foxrock66.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Deviss Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:15 pm

foxrock66(Roadkill) wrote:Hardy's portrayal of Bane was phenom. He brought a personality and intelligence to the character that has been sorely lacking for most of his existence.
I loved Hardy as Bane. The physicality he brought and embodied, his voice, and especially the amount of expression he could give with just his eyes. Back when I found out he was first cast... for a split second I was worried... but then I remembered, "This is a Nolan Film." And as the saying goes, "In Nolan We Trust".

The thing I can't wait for now is Nolan's next Film.

What was your opinion on Hathaway as Selina Kyle Fox?

Deviss
Deviss
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Mello Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:17 pm

Rinku wrote:I think this was a great review and I agree that Anne Hathaway was a very good choice to play Catwoman.
Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight Rises" Untitle
Mello
Mello
LoL DIVLD
LoL DIVLD

Number of posts : 1554
Xfire? : mellomarcher
Registration date : 2010-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Deviss Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:20 pm

So what are you "No"ing to? My review? Or the choice of Hathaway for Selina Kyle?

And if it's the latter, have you seen the Movie yet? If not, shaddap and go see it! If so, what's your reasoning for the "No" Face Guy?
Deviss
Deviss
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Mello Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:26 pm

The casting of Ann Hathaway. Mostly because whenever I see movies she is in all I can think of is this crap.http://www.moviewallpaper.net/wpp/Anne_Hathaway_in_The_Princess_Diaries_Wallpaper_2_1024.jpg
Mello
Mello
LoL DIVLD
LoL DIVLD

Number of posts : 1554
Xfire? : mellomarcher
Registration date : 2010-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Deviss Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:30 pm

Well, Lol, that was my initial fear, as well as most everyone else's on the planet when that news first dropped. But you didn't answer the one question: have you seen The Dark Knight Rises?
Deviss
Deviss
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinku Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:26 pm

Mello go watch the movie Get Smart, rethink your opinion, or I will kick your teeth in. =D
Rinku
Rinku

Number of posts : 1164
Xfire? : rinku4
Registration date : 2010-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by foxrock66(Roadkill) Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:03 pm

Same opinion as Mello. Although she wasn't as horrible as I thought she would be, I couldn't help feeling like I was looking at an overly sexualized Ella Enchanted who just didn't fit the feel of the rest of the film. The cat suit, even as toned down as it was, still felt out of place and gaudy to me. Hathaway was the one and only weak point in a near perfect movie. Not nearly enough to ruin it, and she handled the part well enough, but I still would have preferred a number of other leading ladies. In fact, if she and Marion Cotillard had swapped roles, I would have been a happy camper
foxrock66(Roadkill)
foxrock66(Roadkill)
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Deviss Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:30 pm

foxrock66(Roadkill) wrote:Same opinion as Mello. Although she wasn't as horrible as I thought she would be, I couldn't help feeling like I was looking at an overly sexualized Ella Enchanted who just didn't fit the feel of the rest of the film. The cat suit, even as toned down as it was, still felt out of place and gaudy to me. Hathaway was the one and only weak point in a near perfect movie. Not nearly enough to ruin it, and she handled the part well enough, but I still would have preferred a number of other leading ladies. In fact, if she and Marion Cotillard had swapped roles, I would have been a happy camper

Well I guess it helped my enjoyment of her portrayal that I haven't seen anything of her previous movies in many years. I didn't get any problems with her in the catsuit, or out of it for that matter, but some of the lines she delivered were pretty "one-liner" to me. Could you not enjoy the fight scenes with her and Batman even?

Please tell me you're kidding with the line of her and Cotillard swapping characters. While Miranda Tate did feel a bit rushed, perhaps they could've mentioned her somewhere in The Dark Knight, I still enjoyed her. Especially with the not-so-revelation that she was Talia.

But this is all beside the point, what did you, and everyone else, think of Crane popping up like he did? And more importantly... I wanna talk more about Hardy as Bane!
Deviss
Deviss
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by foxrock66(Roadkill) Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:34 pm

I didn't say I didn't like her at all. She served her purpose, but she's the least memorable part of the whole film.

And no, not kidding at all. I think Cotillard is a far superior actress - not to mention hotter - and would have much preferred her as Catwoman/Selina and Hathway as Tate.

Crane popping up wasn't a surprise. I knew he'd be in there at some point. Murphy being such a close friend of Nolan. As for Bane I covered him already
foxrock66(Roadkill)
foxrock66(Roadkill)
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiba Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:14 am

New favorite movie. Hands down. Even better than The Dark Knight, I thought
Kiba
Kiba

Number of posts : 154
Xfire? : kiba969. Add me, we'll converse with words and witticisms
Registration date : 2011-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Deviss Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:45 am

foxrock66(Roadkill) wrote:As for Bane I covered him already.
You sir are no fun at all. If not the character, what about the fights between him and Batman?
Deviss
Deviss
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by zeb k Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:41 am

foxrock66(Roadkill) wrote:I didn't say I didn't like her at all. She served her purpose, but she's the least memorable part of the whole film.

And no, not kidding at all. I think Cotillard is a far superior actress - not to mention hotter - and would have much preferred her as Catwoman/Selina and Hathway as Tate.
I agree. Cotillard is a great actress, and I wasn't all the thrilled with Hathway. I didn't really dislike her, but I didn't think she was all that good. But either way the movie was good.
zeb k
zeb k

Number of posts : 644
Xfire? : zsking
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Deviss Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:45 am

zeb k wrote:But either way the movie was good.
*Ahem* I think you mean "great" instead of "good".

Should we talk about the ending? While I hope most every Member, if not everyone, gets to see it, at least once, that may be too Spoilery just yet.

Also, this is something I wanted to point out to everyone, if you're a Fan of Nolan's Batman Trilogy and want to hear more about The Dark Knight Rises, and his other two Films, or plenty of other great Movies, check out the Now Playing Podcast. They have some fantastic discussions about the movies and I've been listening to them for over a year now.
Deviss
Deviss
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Denjie Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:18 pm

Still haven't seen it.
Denjie
Denjie

Back to top Go down

Post by Deviss Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:45 pm

Den wrote:Still haven't seen it.
Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight Rises" Superheroes-batman-superman-batman-facepalm
Deviss
Deviss
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next